What does one do with all the social networks? I'm not sure but in an effort to organize my online social life I wanted to create rules for myself around what social networks and this blog will be used for. Consider this an experiment. What falls away will fall away, everything else can stay.
Below are the ways I think of each social network and what I plan to post there.
Main online presence where I will share most things I want my friends and acquaintances to see.
- My upcoming events - I am an active guy
Another major online presence but a great place for just random short thoughts
- Bad jokes
- Programmer thoughts - most of my friends on facebook don't really don't speak gobbledygook
- Events as they happen
- Psuedo-conversations with fellow twitter users.
- Videos I take
- Hangouts - I have some ideas for themed ones.
- Videos saved from ustream
I like G+ still but it is so hard to post. I'm just going to turn it into the place to post stuff that is easy to post there. Turns out this is mostly Google related links.
I don't put much content here but if I do it will be.
- Stupid photos
- Longer random thoughts that only people who really opted in will want to see. By longer random thoughts I mean longer than the 140 character limit of twitter but not deserving of a full blog post.
- This is the place for behind the scenes video of my life.
- There is a possibility I could start JAMM live broadcasts again in the future.
I must admit, this one is dying quick. I haven't
- Silly pictures
- Memorable videos
What about this blog?
Articles that well thought out will go in this blog. I want to write better so I will do my best. However, I have been wanting to write a lot more and trying to be to clean and neat usually keeps me from writing so please bear with me as I get better at first and second drafts.
There are too many social networks but being an inhabitant and creator within the social space I feel it is necessary to check them out and see what works. What works for you? I know my list is small. Should I be trying something else? Is there something else a reader of my blog would like to see me use one of these services for? I'm open to ideas and comments. Thanks for reading.